On May 7th, 2010 immigration enforcement raided Dufferin Grove Mall in Toronto’s west end in a first in a series of attacks.
No One Is Illegal – Toronto has reasons to believe that these raids will continue and extend in to the St. Clair Area.
Over two dozen persons found to be without ?adequate documentation? have been arrested. Currently, these people are being detained at the immigration detention holding centre without access to full legal support.
Immigration Enforcement is stopping people on the streets, at work, and while shopping based on their skin color and accent. This is systematic racial profiling that creates fear in our communities. It is part of the social-cleansing of Toronto in the lead up to the G20 Summits. It is the same racist policy that is being opposed vehemently in Arizona in the United States.
No One Is Illegal-Toronto has received confirmed reports that further raids are being planned specifically in the St. Clair Area THIS WEEK. Latin@ restaurants will be targeted, and ID checks based on racial profiling may take place. We believe that raids on Bloor West will also continue.
This fundamentally unjust harassment must be opposed.
No One Is Illegal-Toronto calls upon migrant communities and its allies to:
1) *Contact No One Is Illegal* immediately if you see Immigration Enforcement or Police asking for identification, or detaining people, or if you have information about the raids that took place on May 7. We can be reached by email email@example.com or by phone 416.833.6137. If you would like to stay informed, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) Please *download *attached copies of the ?*Know Your Rights*? legal information (available in Spanish, Portuguese and English) and poster/flyer stores, individuals, neighborhoods to alert individuals to the ongoing immigration raids.
3) *Standby for upcoming emergency actions *to protest these immoral raids! Email email@example.com.
- Janet Napolitano Target for California Immigrant Rights Rally Sunday
- Groups Protest, Expose Weeden As The Anti-Immigrant Think Tank Behind SB1070
- Oakland: Self-Respect and Community Self-Defense Forum
- National Rally Today for Immigrant Rights
- Los Angeles: Cutting Edge Local Policies – Immigrants and Public Safety