This is a workshop to raise funds for Honouring and Weaving Stories: A Gathering On Turtle’s Back for Indigenous and Racialized Peoples.
Emerging science increasingly validates the lifeways and worldviews of Indigenous and other ancient wisdom traditions as promoting wellbeing. This workshop will look at some of the hard science that is emerging which, when contextualized within indigenous and other wisdoms, can reshape activist visions, strategies and tactics; how we might shift our relationships to each other and to the land we all live on so that all our communities can enjoy mental, physical, emotional and spiritual wellbeing.
This workshop speaks to:
- Enhancing cooperation within and among groups
- Enhancing creativity, resiliency and flexibility.
- Establishing sustainable values and practices.
- A renewed sense of meaning, vision and purpose.
6:30 to 8pm, Thursday September 13, 2012
Room 5170, OISE
252 Bloor Street West, Toronto
PWYC: Suggested donation $20
Presenter Bio: Author of the forthcoming book Wielding The Force: The Science of Effective Activism, Zainab Amadahy is a singer/songwriter, author and community worker. Her achievements include co-authoring (with Bonita Lawrence) “Indigenous Peoples and Black Peoples in Canada: Settlers or Allies? for Breaching the Colonial Contract: Anti-Colonialism in the US and Canada. Zainab also contributed to the anthology Strong Women?s Stories: Native Vision & Community Activism and authored the feminist sci fi novel Moons of Palmares. Her recent publications can be found on rabble.ca and muskratmagazine.com.
For more info on this workshop: WorkshopsHonouringStories@gmail.com
For info on the Gathering: http://www.facebook.com/OnTurtlesBack/info
- Genocide, Assimilation Or Incorporation?
- Community, ‘Relationship Framework,’ and Implications for Activism
- Why Native and Anti-Colonial Struggles Will Always Be Appendixed by the White “Left”
- Seeking Workshop Proposals for Finding Our Roots Conference
- Black Space: Imagining Race in Science Fiction Film [review]