On March 20th, No One Is Illegal-Vancouver Coast Salish Territories invites you to join us in a march to mark the International Day for the Elimination of Racism and show our communities’ collective strength in challenging racism. Canadian multiculturalism is not enough!
Sunday, March 20th, 2011 at 2pm. Location: Waterfront Skytrain Station, Downtown Vancouver, Coast Salish Territories
March 21, the International Day for the Elimination of Racism, marks the anniversary of the 1960 Sharpeville Massacre in South Africa when police opened fire on hundreds of South Africans protesting against Apartheid’s passbook laws, killing 67 and wounding 186.
For centuries, communities have led countless courageous struggles against racism and the many ways in which it manifests itself in our daily lives. Although many would like to believe that racism no longer exists, we are reclaiming the tradition of anti-racist marches to reveal the reality of racism.
From historic injustices – such as Japanese internment camps, residential schools, and the Chinese Exclusion Act – to the current mass imprisonment and impoverishment of Indigenous communities, racialized peoples, and refugees under the guise of the War on Terror; Canadian corporate development on Indigenous lands from the tarsands in Alberta to mining operations in Guatemala; the expansion of exploitative migrant worker programs; the tragedy of missing and murdered Indigenous women, and military occupations from Afghanistan to Haiti, racism is an ugly truth about Canada.
Join us on March 20th to confront racism while celebrating the dignity, strength, and resilience of our communities.
- End individual and institutional racism, racial violence, and racial profiling!
- Stop the theft of Indigenous lands!
- End all racist wars and occupations!
- Stop imprisonments and deportations!
- Living wages, health-care, education, and housing for all!
To endorse the march or for more information email email@example.com.
- Vancouver: Community March Against Racism
- Canadian Conservatives Attack No One Is Illegal to Distract from Anti-Immigrant Record
- Video: Survival, Strength, Sisterhood: Power of Women in the Downtown Eastside [Saturday #Culture]
- Students of Colour Montreal: Idle No More Solidarity Statement
- Occupied Canada: The Political Economy of Indigenous Dispossession